Took the MSF Experienced Rider Course today -

Thread: Took the MSF Experienced Rider Course today -

Default Took the MSF Experienced Rider Course today -

Quite a workout for me. Lots of good learning experience. First time for me, & evidently a new curiculum this year. I recommend it. Now to get re-imbursed from Honda. (Honda Riders Club perk)
    Something that surprised me is that I have developed a habit of riding with two fingers covering the front brake, & it just feels right. This is discouraged - I'm wondering how many others do this & what your thoughts might be?

Lynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

I've taken those courses a couple times and always find them interesting. Seems you can always pick up some good idea or remind yourself of one you forgot! Congratulations, it is good that you took it! As for the front brake, I never use it!! Before you all start slamming me, don't forget that I ride a trike with a Chevy Suburban rear axle, it has all the brakes I need and the front wheel wouldn't do much for stopping me. Ride safe Lynn and practice what you learned!!

Yeah, the times that I have taken it (and my sons) the same thing happened. That doesn't bother me, covering the brake is a good habit.

I wonder if what you experienced is something added by the instructor's personal habits. I, for one, will not take any ABATE sponsored course because I've seen too many times that instructors interject their own ideas. The last excuse that I heard is that you could get your fingers cut off by the brake lever if you were in an accident, Covering the front brake with two fingers gains needed time in case you need to stop quickly and PREVENTS accidents.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

On open road riding I don't keep my fingers on the handles but if I get in traffic where I may need to respond fast to a situation then I have both levers covered. I also treat my highway pegs the same way. Feet up on the open road but feet ready to brake or shift once I get into traffic and especially if I'm coming up to a side road.

In CHiP academy when we taught motor safety and riding skills, it was recommended that you cover both the clutch and the front brake with a couple of fingers especially in traffic in case of an emergency. Open road was a different story, no need unless it is habit.....

My Chevy Trike like RayO's hasn't had a front brake on it for over 15 years..... Took it completely off due to couldn't keep air out of the system.

Went to California on it a few times and the one time I was stopped they were going to impound it till I got a front brake. Told em OK, I'd be back for the motor tranny and rear end, they could have the rest of it. They turned me loose after I showed them the stopping ability of the big old trike. It also helped that I knew the Captain who happened by...

97 Tourer - 87 Cobra Trike - 44 Harley ServiCar
    Semper fi.

Default Took the MSF Experienced Rider Course today -

You keep those fingers there. It will save you one day.

Took the Indiana MSF Course and gotta agree with Solo1, pretty much an ABATE & HD oriented thing, even though it is done with State & Federal Tax money. Not against HD's or ABATE just didn't like it forced on me with my Tax Money. ABATE in Indiana has a closed shop when it comes to the MSF course. Classes are always full in INDY, lots of folks waiting but ABATE doesn't have or want to increase instructors. It's a shame when rider safety is at issue.

Sarge, you're absolutely right. However, the last class that I took was not an ABATE. It was taught under the sponsorship of, I believe, the local high school system in Kokomo Indiana. It still is a ERC course and I did not get the instructor's personal opinion. Very good.
    I inquired again this year and it is being taught again in Kokomo without ABATE instructors. I'm not sure I will take it this year but it was worth the 80 or so miles I had to ride from New Haven.

O.K. - I'll stick with covering my front brake. Thanks for the input.
    Lynn

Default An added thought..

The main reason MSF curriculum recommends not covering the front brake is that a lot of riders who do that will apply the front brake at the wrong time just as a nonthinking panic reaction to certain situations. When one is swerving while the brakes are covered, if you think you are going too fast, your brain will subconsiously tweak your fingers and cause the front end to wash out. Same thing will happen in low speed turns, weaves, etc. Some riders can control that reaction, but most don't have the experience and control to prevent the subconscious reaactions.
    The MSF program DOES recommend covering the brakes and clutch in high risk or in traffic situations to cut reaction time.
    I just wanted to help clear up the position a bit.
    Y'all ride safe.

Default Hey Sarge...

The Indiana dept of Education recruited me to teach MSF courses. I was going to do it, but got real busy with school and building the addition to the house.

I'll get you in touch with the guy if you want to teach it.

Jabba