When to buy a new helmet

Thread: When to buy a new helmet

Default When to buy a new helmet

My current helmet is about 10 years old and I have noticed that the foam in the back part around where your neck would be has become crunched and disfigured. Is this an indicator that I need to buy a new helmet?

This is a HJC 3/4 open face CL-5.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, I'd say you are past due. If you haven't tried a full face helmet, I think you'd like it. It reduces a lot of wind force and reduces the neck strain. I went 30 yrs with halves and 3/4 helmets and don't have a clue why I waited so long except for thinking they were for crotch rocket riders.

Default It's time..

All of the manufacturers recommend a 5 year replacement schedule. If you take care of it, store it out of the light, etc, it should last longer than that, but if the foam has started to deteriorate-the epf is also going so the helmet would not protect as it should.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Default full face helmet

Bought my first fullface helmet last week. Been wearing 1/2 & 3/4 shells for the last 35+ years. Don't know if I like not having the wind in my face or not. I know it is probably safer, but I don't know what it is going to feel like in our S Florida summer. M/C engine sounds completely different.

Mike

Mitchburt, it gets hot and muggy here too and I just open the visor a crack and the breeze rushes in. I'll admit my Fulmer is cooler than my HJC.

5 year replacement time line huh. Well I guess I got my moneys worth out of it and it sounds like it is time to get a new one for me and the wife. I've never worn a full face but have thought about having them available during the cold months. Here in Bama them summer get mighty hot and sticky so I'm not sure have comfortable a full face would be.

Many thanks for the replies!

if you wear glasses, look at the "flip face full helmets. i have a full face arai and it's a chore to get glasses in there. like the man said, if you want wind in your face, open the visor. but if you don't want hail in your eyes, close it!

I have been wearing a full face Arai the past 3 yrs. I had a shoei before that. The Arai has a much better ventilation system, and to me when riding through the desert, the full face helmet was cooler just using the venting system, rather than having the shield open.
    Vicki
    2000 ZRX11001998 Valkyrie

I have a Nolan full face flip up. It's really the answer for me. It saves the hassle about the glasses. I have a Shoei X8, a really nice helmet, but I don't wear it any more.
    As for the heat, flip the shield up, it helps a lot.

solo1; i've been thinking about the nolan but heard they were "cheap" in construction and protection. are you satisfied with yours? is it comfortable?
    would like an evaluation of good and bad points (if you have the time )
    my arai fell down (with my head in it ) and really needs to be replaced.

Default Helmets

Motorcycle Consumer News did an evaluation of full face helmets this month. Nolan wasn't one of those reccomended but it was voted the best buy for the money.

what was voted best? my head is a pretty valuable thing to me (kind of attached to it )
    what was the best "flip face"?