Short Trip
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Short Trip

  1. #1
    Senior Member V-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    832

    Default Short Trip

    Just made a short trip south, roads were awesome of course, weather was ok (only wet three days out of eight). I am used to "southern hospitality" that was NOT there on this trip! I had a couple very bad experiences from some of the locals ... this has NEVER happened in the past . Was it the bike I was riding, is it the economy is that much worse in the south or was it just wrong place/wrong time.

    This &#^@% Yankee (as I was called multiple times) like the south, like the people in the south and like the roads in the south ... I'll be back

    Here is a short video, a very small number of pictures taken ...


    http://youtu.be/TAGgHvFzGB0
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.



    www.v-man.org

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Friendswood, Tx
    Posts
    848

    Default

    sorry to hear you had some unpleasant hospitality....next time travel further south....it only gets better the deeper you get into the south......noticed a Spyder in a couple of pics...anyone you know???????
    fb
    Where ever ya go... There ya are...



  4. #3
    Senior Member V-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotglue View Post
    sorry to hear you had some unpleasant hospitality....next time travel further south....it only gets better the deeper you get into the south......noticed a Spyder in a couple of pics...anyone you know???????
    fb
    Thanks, I was just very confused. I've been down dozens of times and have always been treated VERY well ... I've been wanting to move south but family obligations keep me here for the time being. After this trip and a couple real bad situations (more then I can describe online) I am not so sure it would be a good move. I just can't figure out what was different this trip compared to all the other trips The only things that stand out different is the bike, the economy is no worse then my trip south a few months ago ...

    The Spyder belonged to a rider I met on the road, his name was Jerry from Columbus, GA. He was traveling with a buddy on a ST1300. We had breakfast together and rode 100+ miles south before we split ... he was in a hurry to get home and I was riding the entire Blue Ridge. Great guys though ...
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.



    www.v-man.org

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Speedie Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Millington, TN.
    Posts
    430

    Default A great bunch of pictures & Good music too.

    V Man
    That was a good slide show with some good tunes. I too have traveled those same roads, It is a great ride.

    Speedie
    Ok, I hate the rain, It sucks, I want to ride in the Sun Shine.



  7. #5
    Senior Member V-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedie Gonzales View Post
    V Man
    That was a good slide show with some good tunes. I too have traveled those same roads, It is a great ride.

    Speedie
    Thanks Speedie It was tough having to choose the pics to use for the slide show (I took so many). I love that area and I'll be back ...
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.



    www.v-man.org

  8. #6
    Senior Member LadyDraco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bastian , Va.
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    I'm so sorry... Ya'll should have come to my area ... We would have rolled the carpet for ya..... Some folks are just plain rude....

    Let us know the next tie you are in my area .. SWVA.....
    Life is what you make of it~If it don't fit make alterations.
    Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
    it's not the end.





    99 I/S Valkyrie CSC trike
    98 Halfbreed Valkyrie CSC trike

  9. #7
    Senior Member V-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
    I'm so sorry... Ya'll should have come to my area ... We would have rolled the carpet for ya..... Some folks are just plain rude....

    Let us know the next tie you are in my area .. SWVA.....
    Thank you Your right some people are just rude and I guess I hit all the rude ones on this trip ... hopefully! Maybe that is the only reason but it sure stood out and hit me like a ton of bricks this go around

    PS SWVA has some GREAT roads, next time I'm down I'll shoot a note your way.
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.



    www.v-man.org

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SF CA/Hallandale Fl
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Great Video and pics Vman! I wish I was healthy enough for one more bike in my life. A Spyder may be the only choice for someone like myself that may not be able to hold up a 2 wheeler anymore! Having spent 40 years in California I am having a hard time adjusting to living in the south. I should say that a lot of the "attitude" I see come from imbecile New Yorkers living down here.
    Last edited by Valkcabbie; 08-23-2011 at 10:26 AM.
    2009 Egret 189 with Yamaha 150 Vmax

  11. #9
    Senior Member V-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valkcabbie View Post
    Great Video and pics Vman! I wish I was healthy enough for one more bike in my life. A Spyder may be the only choice for someone like myself that may not be able to hold up a 2 wheeler anymore! Having spent 40 years in California I am having a hard time adjusting to living in the south. I should say that a lot of the "attitude" I see come from imbecile New Yorkers living down here.

    Thanks VC! There's nothing wrong with a Spyder or a conventional trike either. I understand, I have one bad leg and it creates problems for the so called good leg ... I am sure I will eventually be forced to make the decision myself.

    Take care

    Don
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.



    www.v-man.org

  12. #10
    Senior Member Yogi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Columbus, NC
    Posts
    1,346

    Default

    Dang Donny, wish we knew you were heading this way, you were within a 1/2 hour from our place. I'd have shown you some good hospitality. I don't get why you got treated badly, I have had nothing but good experiences since we moved down here.

    I like the bike was kinda surprised to see you on that. it's a little out of character for you. how's the rolling burnouts on it



    2011 Triumph R3 Roadster




  13. #11
    Senior Member V-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    Dang Donny, wish we knew you were heading this way, you were within a 1/2 hour from our place. I'd have shown you some good hospitality. I don't get why you got treated badly, I have had nothing but good experiences since we moved down here.

    I like the bike was kinda surprised to see you on that. it's a little out of character for you. how's the rolling burnouts on it
    Craig! I was going to contact you guys but the trip was a "last minute" "clear my head" kind of trip. There wasn't a lot of notice and I wouldn't just show up on your doorstep!

    After thinking about it I really believe it was a combination of the bike and the license plate I've been on the same roads with various bikes and same me ...

    The bike is different, similiar to my Caponord but even "tougher". I bought the bike for a trip to Alaska but since getting it have found it makes an awesome road bike too not just special purpose! Only done rolling burnout in the dirt, mud and gravel ... it's a handful of dirtbike! I like the bike a lot and for a road trip not having to keep a lot of chrome clean is a BIG plus
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.



    www.v-man.org

  14. #12
    Senior Member R J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Des Moines, IA - Hicktown, USA
    Posts
    1,415

    Default

    Has to of been the bike.

    I've traveled in the South for many years on a motor and have always been treated like a little bear cub with no momma. People were friendly, helpful and etc.

    I did ride a buddies BMW into Atlanta one night, we run out of food at the campsite and the BMW was easiest to get out, and I drew the short straw.

    I got kind of stepped on a couple of times on that trip to town.

    On one of those trips down in Florida, I came upon a BMW rider having problems. He asked me to keep going, he couldn't accept help from a non BMW rider. Never ever encountered that before in over a million miles on a motor over the years. I chalked it up to a fluke.



    97 Tourer - 87 Cobra Trike - 44 Harley ServiCar
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Semper fi.



  15. #13
    Senior Member V-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R J View Post
    Has to of been the bike.

    I've traveled in the South for many years on a motor and have always been treated like a little bear cub with no momma. People were friendly, helpful and etc.

    I did ride a buddies BMW into Atlanta one night, we run out of food at the campsite and the BMW was easiest to get out, and I drew the short straw.

    I got kind of stepped on a couple of times on that trip to town.

    On one of those trips down in Florida, I came upon a BMW rider having problems. He asked me to keep going, he couldn't accept help from a non BMW rider. Never ever encountered that before in over a million miles on a motor over the years. I chalked it up to a fluke.
    RJ

    I think I've come to the same conclusion which is unfortunate. I really like the GSA and have no plans to ditch the bike so I guess I just have to suck it up. Maybe I can help change the sterotype that goes along with the BMW I enjoy all motorcycles no matter how it's badged, and would help any motorcycle on road ... I'd also accept help from any source that offered too! I know BMW does offer an "annonomous book" that is issued by BMW Motorcycle Owners of America. I am a member and also listed in the book to offer help to any rider in my area that may need a hand ... similiar to what we all did back in the day of the VRCC but this is printed version.

    I suppose I should get off my soapbox and accept it for what it was ... I think I will start planning another trip South, maybe for the fall colors! Maybe I should really freak them out and bring the GO-4 this next time!

    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.



    www.v-man.org

  16. #14
    Senior Member LadyDraco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bastian , Va.
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Highbinder & I ride with a good many GS riders ,KLR, KTM,Vstroms..
    LOL.. We use the Valks like dual sports
    All from the ADV.. ( www.advrider.com) A good bunch of folks ...
    We don't trail blaze.. But do a good deal of dirt and gravel roads..

    They party hearty and camp... We join in the camping and parting
    Life is what you make of it~If it don't fit make alterations.
    Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
    it's not the end.





    99 I/S Valkyrie CSC trike
    98 Halfbreed Valkyrie CSC trike

  17. #15
    Senior Member V-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
    Highbinder & I ride with a good many GS riders ,KLR, KTM,Vstroms..
    LOL.. We use the Valks like dual sports
    All from the ADV.. ( www.advrider.com) A good bunch of folks ...
    We don't trail blaze.. But do a good deal of dirt and gravel roads..

    They party hearty and camp... We join in the camping and parting
    The ADV Riders do seem like good group and I look forward to meeting some of them down the road someplace ... heck, maybe it will be down your way! I'm not much of a "planner" more like spur of the moment but hopefully I will know a week or so before the next trip South and that will be enough time to meet up.

    PS
    You didn't list the Caponord in your list, does that mean you won't ride with any of the Italian bikes? Just kidding of course!
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.



    www.v-man.org

  18. #16
    Senior Member LadyDraco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bastian , Va.
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Is that what you are riding now?? Cool...
    I can't see the video my dial-up is way to slow for that fancy stuff...

    LOL heck we will even ride with MP3 !!! My girl friend has one...

    Yes just shoot us a PM when ya get back down this way....
    Life is what you make of it~If it don't fit make alterations.
    Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
    it's not the end.





    99 I/S Valkyrie CSC trike
    98 Halfbreed Valkyrie CSC trike

  19. #17
    Senior Member V-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
    Is that what you are riding now?? Cool...
    I can't see the video my dial-up is way to slow for that fancy stuff...

    LOL heck we will even ride with MP3 !!! My girl friend has one...

    Yes just shoot us a PM when ya get back down this way....
    The GO-4 is just a weird little thing I found and fixed up a bit ... it's fun but I ride it local only because parts (engine/tranny) are not easy to get. Sorry about the video! It's squeezed about as much as possible for size too.

    Here is pic of what I was riding R1200GS Adventure



    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.



    www.v-man.org

  20. #18
    Senior Member LadyDraco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bastian , Va.
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Sweet ride !!! Nicely farkle too !!

    I wish you well and a lot of GREAT adventures on her..

    Ya need to get some stickers on them Panniers !!!
    Last edited by LadyDraco; 08-27-2011 at 08:52 AM.
    Life is what you make of it~If it don't fit make alterations.
    Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
    it's not the end.





    99 I/S Valkyrie CSC trike
    98 Halfbreed Valkyrie CSC trike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •