OK Eastern People Check In!!!

Thread: OK Eastern People Check In!!!

Default OK Eastern People Check In!!!

Just looking at the weather forcast for the east coast It looks like yall are getting your butt kicked with the white stuff..

I hope your pipes dont freeze and the snow blower works..

Speedie
    Ok, I hate the rain, It sucks, I want to ride in the Sun Shine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Default NOt East

Not east, but we had 8.5" with some 30-40 mph wind that left some nice 4' drifts. Spent the morning changing out the water heater and afternoon plowing drives. Sounds like round 2 gets here Monday overnite.

Blue Ice/2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Default Southern folks!!!

Last weekend, Friday and Saturday we had our first snow/ice of the year.

Had a total of 4 inches of Ice and snow in the front yard...All gone now except for the shady spots in the woods.

Speedie

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

We picked up 14" of a very heavy wet snow..
    6" of is a granluaded type with 8" heavy snow as the kicker..
    We had about 6" still on the ground from last weeks storm...
    Thank goodness we didn't get the high winds that the Town of Tazewell
    got ,they have down trees and power lines all over the place..

Our total snows since Thanksgiving is 88" .....

Yes we have had our share of snow this season...

BTW they say we will get another storm Tues-Wed..
    I think we might hit the 100" this year.....
    Life is what you make of it~If it don't fit make alterations.
    Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
    it's not the end.

99 I/S Valkyrie CSC trike
    98 Halfbreed Valkyrie CSC trike

All Good, had about 14", spent most of Saturday cleaning it up. Makes you want to stay inside and get some work done....... maybe not.

2011 Triumph R3 Roadster

Well...I'm back to work and plugged in for the first time since early Saturday morning. I measured 18" of snow just off my front porch and there are places where it looks deeper. That was at 8am and it was still snowing pretty hard. My power has been off since Saturday morning...it went off during the night Friday several times. But was on when we woke up. But neither our Dish Network Satellite TV nor our Satellite Internet were working...so I trudged out into the knee-deep snow with a broom to clear the TV dish, which is on a post near the ground. Then I went and dragged a ladder out and climbed up to clear the internet dish which is on the corner of the roof of my house. I went inside and had internet and TV for about 10 minutes and the power went off for the last time. It still isn't on...I have no heat and no water, and the tree pulled my phone line down off my house (but it still works). My house was 37 degrees when I left for work this morning. I ran my wife and kids up to Weirton to my mother-in-law's yesterday, and I stayed at my parent's house next door so I could keep an eye on things. They don't have power either, but they have a wood burner and a generator, so at least they have some heat and we could watch some TV...although his satellite wouldn't work. Last night, they got the power back on the street next to mine, so I'm hoping I'll have power by the time I get off work. We got all dug out Saturday with the skid loader, so at least we got that done. And I have a kerosene heater that I have been lighting to keep the pipes from freezing. I'll tell you...this has been one crazy weekend. Here's a couple pics. I thought the first one was funny how the snow just piled up on my deck railing, and the 2nd one is the front of my house...you can see the tree that pulled down the phone line.

Last edited by Bob E.; 02-08-2010 at 08:58 AM.

Here are a few more pics...

From my back deck, you can see how much snow piled up on my girls' playhouse...

Here is a view from my front porch looking up at my mailbox and the tree that pulled my phone line...

And finally, a look at the road conditions...

I still haven't heard anything about the power, so I assume it is still off. Dad said he would call me if it came back on. And the bad thing is that I just heard we are supposed to get another 6"-12" tomorrow night!!!

Nice pix Bob ...
    Thanks for sharing....
    it's not the end.

Still no power and Allegheny Power's recorded message when you call in is now saying "by Sunday"!!! Last night, we ran extension cords from my dad's generator to my house (next door) so I could plug in my freezer to keep from losing all our food. And I took all my fridge stuff and put it in coolers out on my back deck to keep it cool. I just hope no coons or anything get into it. I bungee'd the lids down so we'll see. Anyways, I said I'd post a few pics of the after-dig-out. I took these last night.

Driveway...

End of driveway by the road...

To avoid having to shovel from my house up to my garage (over 100ft) I cut a path with the skid loader through the yard. It is just wide enough for my Jeep Cherokee...

And finally, looking back at the front of my house...

Like I said, they are officially calling for another 6"-10" now for tonight and tomorrow, and I just read that another clipper storm is lining up for Saturday!!! The scary part is that as late as this past Friday evening, they were calling for 6"-10" where I live and we got more than double that. For the most part, the snow isn't so bad. I just wish my power would come back on.

Great shots!!!!!

I had to laugh (I know it's not funny though) when you said you had to run extension cords to keep your freezer going....

Good luck on getting your power on soon bro!
    Strider
    1999 Red/Black Supervalk

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Great shots!!!!!

I had to laugh (I know it's not funny though) when you said you had to run extension cords to keep your freezer going....

Good luck on getting your power on soon bro!
    May as well laugh about it...not like we can do much else.

Default Snow belt

Sounds like you need to have a BBQ to clean out the freezer We've had another 3-4" here this morning and expected to get 3-4" more by tonite and then the 30-40 mph NW winds kick in for whiteouts and big drifts.

Blue Ice/2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Default Snow in the South!!!!

I had to go to Nashville TN. to work this week. When I left the house Monday morning at 4:30 we had an inch on the ground. The roads were slick as snot on a glass door knob. Had to drive in it for 60 miles then it cleared up..Final measurement was 6 inches.

Speedie...

Day 5 and still no power. I called Allegheny Power yesterday afternoon and their recording (you cannot even get a human now) is saying that we should have power restored to our area by midnight tonight. I'm hoping!! On the good side, it looks like our big snow storm for last night and today kind of petered out a bit. We should end up alot closer to the 6" (maybe even less) versus the 10" that they were calling for. It actually changed over to rain for a few hours last night which reduced the snow totals. The bad news is that everything is solid ice today. And the winds have picked up alot...so the snow is drifting pretty bad. This is turning into one very long week.

Also, for Saturday, I was talking to a guy out in the lobby in front of my office and he is telling me that they are calling for another 9" this weekend!!! I looked on the net and I cannot confirm that yet.

I finally have power again!!!

When I came home from work last night, I saw an Allegheny Power truck sitting at the end of my road...but nobody was in it. And there were a couple Allegheny Power trucks and an Asplundh tree cutting truck just down the road from my house. So I knew they were working. However, the way the wires run out there, they weren't directly working on our line. We are on a short spur that only powers 3 homes, then there is a main line on another set of poles up on the hill in the field that parallels our line and feeds the folks down the road from us. Well, they were working on that main line and not directly working on ours. So we were a little hopeful, but also...as the night was getting later and later, we were a little discouraged. Plus, my dad had talked to those guys and they said that the lines were down in the creek and it wasn't looking good. My aunt even bought a bag of chocolate chip cookies at Panera Bread and gave to the guys to try and encourage them. Well, I had just run over to my house to turn off the kerosene heater for the night and to get a change of clothes for today and just as I locked and pulled the door shut, the lamp turned on. WOOOHOOOO!!!! That was about 8:20 or so. So then began the process of getting the water turned back on and air purged, fridge re-loaded, etc., etc. And my furnace must have run all night long to get that place warmed back up. It was still cold in there when I went to bed...but let me tell you...it was so nice to sleep in my own bed again rather than a couch.

BobE... Glad you got some power now

We hit the 100" last night
    it's not the end.