Running on cash

Thread: Running on cash

Default Running on cash

Well.... on our trip.. and stoping for gas and swiping the card at the pump is evidently not a good idea.... The Visa card is showing $500 plus charges that we did not make.... even at the current exchange rate to the Canadian dollar...That Ain't Right....I always thought swiping the card was better than having paper copies floating around the station for any minimum wage type to latch on to....
    WELL>>>>>>
    $115.24 to fill up a 5 gallon tank.... have the receipt.for $12 ..several hits like that.... all at places we stopped for gas. Called and had to cancel the card.....
    Now we are running mostly on cash. hate to use our other card. if it goes FUBAR we are out of luck.

Visa was supposed to have an emergency card waiting for us at the hotel in Halifax today..... got a call from them tonight, it will not be here till MONDAY.... we won't be here. Told them to not send it till I could let them know where we would be.
    We will be OK.... just a pain in the butt. Especially when we get home and have to dispute the charges.
    The only good thing is, we were getting out of country notifications via e-mail on all of our transactions. the notifications of the out of line transactions are still not posted to our account.....hopefully we were able to nip it in the bud.
    Cash is good... just a pain in the butt...literally....when yer billfold is where your butt should be on the saddle....
    Last edited by hotglue; 09-09-2009 at 10:05 PM.
    Where ever ya go... There ya are...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Man, that is a bummer!!!! Hopefully, it is just a case of added credit charge that will be credited back after your credit card clears. (You know, some hotels do it - charge your credit card and then credit it back after they get their money). I hope it is just a Canada on an American Credit Card....

If not, MAN, DO YOU GET CRAPPY MILEAGE!!!!

Glad you and FB are safe and sound up in the great white north!

You two are having a wondermous ride bro and sis!

Keep the reports coming!!!!!

Like your patch says, "You are not a gynecologist, but you will take a peek!"

Safe winds brother and sister!!!!!!!!

Strider
    1999 Red/Black Supervalk

Dang that SUX big time .... We have never had anything like that happen... If you need to you can have it sent here Just a thought ...
    Life is what you make of it~If it don't fit make alterations.
    Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
    it's not the end.

99 I/S Valkyrie CSC trike
    98 Halfbreed Valkyrie CSC trike

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Seems like everytime I go on a long trip I have card problems.

Sorry you are having issues, but it could be where they PRE authorize an amount and then it wll clear when it actaully posts to your account. I had that happen several times while on the road when using my debit card. I got a cc just because of that.
    Just a thought buddy, hope all else is good.
    Jeff

I always call (CardCo.) them ahead of time and give them my ruff route ...
    It really does help...
    Life is what you make of it~If it don't fit make alterations.
    Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
    it's not the end.

99 I/S Valkyrie CSC trike
    98 Halfbreed Valkyrie CSC trike

From someone in the Credit Card security business,,,,

Never use a Debit card on travel, Heck if you can get away from a Debit card completely do it. Jeff is right, many times a Debit card will "pre-authorize" at gas stations, up to $75.00 or $100.00 they will release the pre-auth in a day or so after the actual Debit has cleared. get two different Credit cards, I like Am-Ex and either a Visa or MC. I use the AmEx wherever I can. They have some of the best fraud monitoring in place and you are not liable for any charge that you don't make. Leave the Debit card at home or only use it at ATM's for cash withdrawals.

2011 Triumph R3 Roadster

Yogi... I agree!!!!! have a debit card.. but only use it at home.... and at the liquor store.. they give a 10% discount... hey!!!THAT ADDS UP!!!!
    The card we had issues with was a Visa.... but we do also have a MC... We use the Visa a LOT cause we get points with it....Intrest rates don't matter if ya pay 'em off every month.
    Where ever ya go... There ya are...