The Old Victorian

Thread: The Old Victorian

Default The Old Victorian

Been scarcer on the lists than I usually am...I've been sort of anxious and preoccupied since this summer. Now I can say for sure why!

Lookee what I bought!

Well...that was her around 1902 anyway.

Here she is now...

She is substantially intact...but needs a LOT of TLC. Sure hope me and the wife are up to the challenge. Maybe we're not. We're gonna try anyway.

Packed full of mahagony, massive French and pocket doors, gorgeous fireplace mantles etc....

(the wife is included in the pic here for scale...that door is nearly 10 feet tall!)

Good heavens...what have I done!

Being a writer as opposed to just an author (authors write to publish, writers write because they have to) I figured since I was going to be writing about the experience anyway (even if only a journal) that I may as well put it out on the web.

More pictures and details here: The Old Victorian. It's a work in progress of course...and the start of a new adventure for sure!

---------------------------------
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: The Old Victorian

Very Nice.... Cool doors....
    I grew up in a 200 yrs.old home...
    Then our last farm was a 100 yrs.old farm house..
    The farm we have now is the youngest home we/I have ever lived in..29 yrs.old house...

We wish you luck with it... They are a whole different kind of home...
    Enjoy it
    Life is what you make of it~If it don't fit make alterations.
    Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
    it's not the end.

99 I/S Valkyrie CSC trike
    98 Halfbreed Valkyrie CSC trike

Very Cool! That looks like quite a project. I love those old houses...but I have to admit, I think I prefer the picket fence over the chain link. Just looks more inviting.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, the chainlink is gonna go...(later though...my wallet is already at critical)

CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Meyer
    Yeah, the chainlink is gonna go...(later though...my wallet is already at critical)
    Believe me...I can fully understand. I've been working on replacing my windows in my house this fall. And since I have future plans to add on and re-arrange my entrance, I decided now was the time to put the new door in while I was at it...especially since the large picture window was about to fall out of the house as it was. Here's a couple of pics:

I had to bust out all of the plaster and re-frame this front wall in my living room to install the door and new windows. I just finished dry-walling and painting last weekend in preparation for a Christmas Tree. I still have all of my inside trim work to do. All of the exterior work is done.

Nice work!

CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer

Hey Bob E., ya lookin for more work? I think I know where I could get ya a rather smallish/large project........

That work look good..... A 7734 of a lot better than mine did before I gave up and let a professional finish it.....

97 Tourer - 87 Cobra Trike - 44 Harley ServiCar
    Semper fi.

Quote Originally Posted by R J
    Hey Bob E., ya lookin for more work? I think I know where I could get ya a rather smallish/large project........

That work look good..... A 7734 of a lot better than mine did before I gave up and let a professional finish it.....

No thanks, RJ...I think I got plenty of work of my own. I might even finish this project...some day. Besides this door and two windows in my picture, I also replaced 5 other window units (3 double and 2 triple window units), so it was a pretty big project. The outside is all done but I still have all of the inside trim work to do. And since the walls are thicker than normal because of the plaster, I will have to build up the window frames to meet the trim. The bad thing is that the thickness varies, so every piece will be cut to fit. Then, of course, I have to stain everything.

But thanks for the compliments RJ and Daniel.