Tank Interference on new blower...any Ideas ?

Thread: Tank Interference on new blower...any Ideas ?

Default Tank Interference on new blower...any Ideas ?

Hi guys.... I finally got my painted tins back (after 5 months....those dang artists...LOL) I had my blower about 90% installed and was waiting for the Tins to finish the bike and get it running...... When I set the tank on, I realized that there is about a 1/4 inch interference.... The black cap on top of the carb is keeping the tank from bolting down properly in the front. I've posted on the VRCC board ...but DOTS is goin on and everyone is probably there....One guy responded with "torch and hammer" I'll save that as a last resort.... what about shimming the Tank mounts ? or bending the mounting tabs on the tank ?
    Has anyone else run into this problem ? It is a 97 valk standard.
    Any help is greatly appreciated .... Chris D in TN

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

I had a blower bike, and discussions way back when was to shim with a few washers ( make sure they are stainless so you dont add rustin washers to the problem later on)... I didnt need it on my bike, but others did, ... go on up to Home Depot/Lowes/wherever, and grab about half dozen stainless washers and shim till U dont need more ( after U get thickness down, might wanna take a dab of JB-Weld and fuse em all together for ease of take-apart/re-install later on...)

Should work, easy fix

Mosa
    "I believe what I said yesterday. I don't know what I said, but I know what I think, and, well, I assume it's what I said." -Donald Rumsfeld

If ya don't want to use washers, here is a site that has a spacer and a longer bolt.......

http://www.bigbf.com

This is what i have on mine, but, I no have the blower. I used it to get more air into the carbs.

97 Tourer - 87 Cobra Trike - 44 Harley ServiCar
    Semper fi.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Mosa and RJ are right just shim up the front of your tank. You can do it many ways, with washers like Mosa said, or the part RJ told about, even stainless tubing will work. Go to Lowes, Home Depot, or your local hardware store, take the bolt with you and find something that will work. I have even used old polished piston pins on some before (or painted) whatever fits. One nice thing about the washers is you can get them in a much wider diameter and once you "JB" them together they help with stability. If you want to get really technical you might want to make a spacer to move the rubber mounts under the tank out to help hold it. Or you can add rubber to them. THAT ISN'T A "HAVE TO" thing but it will help keep the tank from "rocking" a little.

You shouldn't need to shim anything, just tilt the carb down and then tighten the clamps.

I have never had a problem with that. There shoud be clearance.

Thanks a Bunch guys..... I'll first try tilting the carb.... But I know I only have about 1/8 of an inch under it (cause i wondered if the float bowl would hit the Blower unit if I hit a big bump....or did a wheelie...errr...by accident ) But the space at the front mounting point is more like 1/4 inch .... I'm kinda relieved to hear it has come up before ..... I dont have a problem with shimming it.....
    I cant help but wonder if the painter tweaked the mounting tabs....Like however he secured it when sanding or buffing it...
    Anyways, Thanks Again.... I'll get her sorted, and up and running hopefully Soon. Hope you all had fun at DOTS Later, Chris

Default Hey Lamont and JeffK

If you didn't shim up your tank and tilt the carb, wouldn't that put the float in a position to remain open longer................???? Whence allowing the carb bowl to stay filled?????? Have we messed up shimming these? Or am I backwards?

OK don't answer that last part. I am still trying to figure out that problem "WE Don't have" ????