My butt hurts!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My butt hurts!!

You know my garage is always open. It may be a long way away but you are always more than welcome to have stuff shipped here and we can pound it back together one weekend.

Maybe Thing One and Thing Two would make the ride up too?

Seriously, I'll help however possible Bob. Just say the word.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. I'm going to call my insurance adjuster today...she gets in at 10am...and talk to her about my options and to let her know I'm not happy with the shop. I'll let you know what she says. If she will write the check to me, I'll order the parts and maybe we'll have a wrenching party or something when they get here.

OK...I talked to the insurance adjuster and found out a little bit of info.

First, the shop really probably doesn't want to work on the bike. As of the end of this month, they will no longer be a Honda dealer...just a Harley shop. The insurance adjuster just found this out this week. So they are no longer referring Honda work to this shop and she said I could pull the bike and take it to another shop if I wanted.

Second, she was surprised that the shop was still working on writing up an estimate. She said that she had sent them her estimate along with a check and that they should have started work...or at least ordered parts...based on that and if they found anything extra, that they should have just added it and kept working towards fixing the bike. She wasn't happy with this either.

Third, when I told her that their estimate was up to over $4600...and still not including that radiator...she said that maybe the shop is looking at it as if it should be totalled and not worth fixing. Maybe that is why they are dragging their feet and just haven't written it up yet. And she agreed that if it is getting up that high, that maybe they should just total it. I told her I wouldn't be disappointed...I'd just take the money and go buy another one. All I was concerned with was just getting back on the road one way or another.

Anyways, she said she would call the shop and find out what was going on and discuss whether or not they thought it should be totalled. She said she would call me back tomorrow to either arrange moving the bike to another shop (which would be Bob E's motorcycle shop) or just totalling it out. I'll keep you posted.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Let us know Bro' Yea, I'm sure Thing 1 and Thing 2 will come down, mebbe we can even get 3&4 to come in.

2011 Triumph R3 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi
    Let us know Bro' Yea, I'm sure Thing 1 and Thing 2 will come down, mebbe we can even get 3&4 to come in.
    Thanks man. When I find out, I'll let you know.

And who would thing 1 and 2 be? or should I ask who 3 and 4 are?

OK...I was out of town on vacation camping with the family last Wednesday to Sunday evening. So I wasn't able to post any updates. Anyways, here's the latest.

I spoke to my adjuster Wednesday evening and she said that they were definitely not going to total the bike. It was still about $1000 away from that. She also suggested that I shouldn't pull the bike from the shop because if parts had been ordered, I could end up being charged restocking fees of up to 20%. So I told her find out about the parts and let me know. I also reminded her about the radiator...which would push the estimate very close to total value. She said she would have "Tony", who is their HD adjuster but works more closely with the shop and is more knowledgeable about bikes in general look into everything and call me back on Thursday.

On Thursday around lunch time, Tony calls me (I'm at Geauga Lake at the time). He informs me that he has personally inspected the radiator and it is not bent. He actually called me from the shop with the bike in front of him. The chrome side cover is apparently metal (I thought it was plastic) and he said the tabs on it were bent and they would replace the side cover. I said fine, as long as it is fixed, I am happy. He also said that parts had not been ordered and I could still pull it if I wanted. But if I left it there, he assured me parts would be ordered by Friday. Since I was on vacation and wouldn't be able to do anything about it until this week anyways, against my better judgement, I agreed to leave it at the shop.

Well, right before lunch today (Monday), I called the shop to make sure the parts were ordered. And guess what...no parts ordered. I about blew up. I told them to forget it and not even bother ordering them and that I'd be there this evening to get the bike. Then I called the insurance adjuster to let her know what was going on. I left a message and am still waiting for her to call back. In the meantime, the shop guy who wrote the estimate (the same one who said he'd "rather not have to mess with it) calls me back to find out why I am pulling the bike. I basically laid out a timeline of everything that has happened since I dropped the bike off. At the end, he says my order is already in the computer and all he had to do was press the button to order the parts. He said that they only place Honda orders once or twice a week and even if he had pressed the button Friday, the order still wouldn't have actually been placed until today. I just told him that he should have pressed the button on Friday...and that I'll be there this evening to get my bike. He just said fine and hung up. He was pissed and I don't really care.

So as soon as I get the parts list and a check from Progressive (should only take a couple days) I'll be placing my order.

I'm ready to wrench Bob!

Hey everyone! Wrench party in PA!

Quote Originally Posted by holmes
    I'm ready to wrench Bob!

Hey everyone! Wrench party in PA!
    Well, when the parts come in, I'll let you know. My house is small but I got 2 couches and a little floor space, plus about 4 acres of grass for tent space. So you all are welcome any time...especially if it means getting my bike back together!

Bob, don't know if yer interested but if you get all the parts and want to bring the bike and parts up to mine or Scott's place, we both have Plenty of space to tear her apart and put her back together, And I've got a couple extra rooms. It'd be a little closer for Holmes and it would give you a chance to get away for the weekend and come home with a complete bike.

just a thought!. If not.......Let us know. I'll bring the tools and jacks.

PS: If you think you might want to come up, the one dealer here in Mill Hall is pretty good, If you want I can sick jimmy (mechanic) on the parts and he can get them ordered. Then they'll all be up here. He did a great job with Scott's bike once the Insurance company figgured out who was writing the check.

Again just a thought... Trying to help!

2011 Triumph R3 Roadster

Bob, don't know if yer interested but if you get all the parts and want to bring the bike and parts up to mine or Scott's place, we both have Plenty of space to tear her apart and put her back together, And I've got a couple extra rooms. It'd be a little closer for Holmes and it would give you a chance to get away for the weekend and come home with a complete bike.

just a thought!. If not.......Let us know. I'll bring the tools and jacks.

PS: If you think you might want to come up, the one dealer here in Mill Hall is pretty good, If you want I can sick jimmy (mechanic) on the parts and he can get them ordered. Then they'll all be up here. He did a great job with Scott's bike once the Insurance company figgured out who was writing the check.

Again just a thought... Trying to help!
    Thanks for the offer! Room to work isn't really a problem. I've got a 4-bay garage (2 with concrete floors) with a leaky roof (but only when it rains) that I could clear out 3 bays really easily if I wanted. One dirt floor bay is just my truck, one concrete bay is already empty except for my saddlebag project, and the other concrete bay is bike parking. And, I'm not sure how I would get the bike and all the parts up there unless I trailered the bike on a borrowed trailer. But still, something to think about.

I did pick up the bike yesterday so it is now back in my own garage. So as soon as I get that check and parts list, I'll make out my order, maybe even with a couple extras (Progressive suspension??). I wouldn't have a problem letting your guy order the parts so long as the prices would be competitive with HDL's online parts. Also, I was told that a dealer could maybe get the parts faster than an individual as they generally get priority. I don't know if that's true or not. Do you know?

Go ahead and order them through Hal. I'm sure you'll get the best price and they have been pretty quick. What I might consider is calling the Ohio shop and talking to Dave. When I had a recent problem with an order he jumped right on it and handled it great. Maybe you can get him the entire list via Email or fax and get it all ordered at once.

Ge the progressives if you want... They really make a difference. If your getting the fork springs, let us know so we can round up a fork tool. Steve R has one and Brett, (Dalai' Lama)

2011 Triumph R3 Roadster

Go ahead and order them through Hal. I'm sure you'll get the best price and they have been pretty quick. What I might consider is calling the Ohio shop and talking to Dave. When I had a recent problem with an order he jumped right on it and handled it great. Maybe you can get him the entire list via Email or fax and get it all ordered at once.

Ge the progressives if you want... They really make a difference. If your getting the fork springs, let us know so we can round up a fork tool. Steve R has one and Brett, (Dalai' Lama)
    Good idea on the Ohio shop order. I was hoping I could just provide the list to someone and say, "here, give me this."

Yeah, I am pretty sure about at least getting the Progressive fork springs. I figure that they aren't too expensive and since the fork legs will be off anyways, it would be easy enough to just open the caps, pull the OEM springs out and drop the new ones in. It is that easy, right?? So I'll likely need the fork tool. And I guess there is a special tool for the steering neck too?? I've seen on VRCC where some folks have made one from a piece of pipe, or maybe that was the fork tool...not sure now...I'll have to do a little research.

And I am really thinking hard about the 440 rear shocks depending on how much $$ I have left over. Actually I am tossing and turning between the 440 shocks or just getting the rest of my Ultimate seat set. I only have the rider seat now. but would really like to add the rider backrest and the passenger seat and backrest pad...you know...for the wife...yeah, that's it. For the wife.

As of today at lunch time, I'll have my check and parts list from the insurance company. So I plan to have parts ordered this weekend sometime.

Actually, I received a check and parts list in the mail yesterday. I was pretty excited. But when I opened it, something was obviously wrong. It was only for $2800, when I had last heard that the estimate was around $4600. So I called and she realized that she had sent me the wrong check. That was from her original estimate...not the one the shop put together. So she told me just to stop by and pick up a new check today.

What really sucks is that if the shop had not screwed around for so long and just ordered the parts, I'd likely be only a few days away from receiving them based on their 2-3 week delivery time estimate. But here it is...over 3 weeks since the accident and 2.5 weeks since I originally took it to the shop...and I STILL don't have parts ordered.

OOOOHHHHHH! I have the check...and initial estimates are that I'll have nearly $1500 left over for "upgrades" based on HDL's partsonline. I just have to double-check ServiceHonda's prices, which I know are lower. But they charge shipping. So, I'll have to compare and get HDL to match whatever is cheaper.

I'll probably give about $375 to my step-daughter for gymnastics classes for the next year (she went last year, but we didn't think we'd have the cash to send her this year)...but that still leaves over $1100.

Now, progressive fork springs and 440 shocks...about $500 total.
    Ultimate seats rider backrest, passenger seat, and passenger backrest...around $490. I'm liking this!!

Hey Hal...you having a Labor Day Sale??? I've got lotsa money to spend!!

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!

Parts are ordered! I just placed about a $2500 order from HDL parts for the forks, Upper and Lower Triple Trees w/bearings, and Front Fender. Now I just have to wait for the Labor Day Sale (I sure hope Hal has one!! ) to order some Progressive 440's, fork springs, and Kewl Metal Fork Flames.

I'm also going to order the rest of my Ultimate Seat set directly from Ultimate (since HDL won't sell the individual components) and a Wayne's World laser cut radiator grille.

Scott
    Link to my BBQ Pit Build Pictures
    Only Bikers understand why dogs hang their heads out the car window

Default Special Tools

Guys...I'll be needing to scrounge up a couple special tools over the next couple weeks for this project. I know I'll need the fork tool and the steering stem tool. Anyone here willing to lend me those? I'd gladly pay whatever shipping was required, of course. Yogi mentioned he knew of a couple fork tools and was going to gather one for me.

Also, are there any other special tools required to basically remove and re-install the entire front end of my Valk? I saw someone mention a special tool to remove the races from the frame for the steering stem bearings. Can these be knocked out with a punch and hammer? Or will I need some sort of puller?

I'll call Steve and see if we can get his fork tool. I knocked the races out of a VTX with a small drift, so we should be able to do the same on the valk.

2011 Triumph R3 Roadster

Hmmm...now I have a dilemma. I basically have 2 free weekends in September. The 16th-17th and the 30th-1st.

I called HDL for a status of my order and they said it was shipping out to me yesterday...which means I'll have the parts early next week. I also ordered the rest of my parts on HDL's sale. So assuming a week give or take to receive those items, I should have them late next week or early the following week...like around the 11th-12th or so. Which means I'll have everything to put my bike together the weekend of the 16th-17th.

The problem is that weekend is Yogi's Rocket Ride. I was thinking about taking Dad's wing to attend the ride.

So now...do I skip the ride in order to get my bike back together sooner? Or do I take dad's wing on the ride and delay fixing my bike yet another 2 weeks? If I skip the ride, the State College crew that offered to help me obviously wouldn't be available. On the other hand...it will have been nearly 2 months that the bike has been down (since July 27) and I'm getting antsy, and that will be amplified once I have a bunch of shiny new parts laying around in my garage. But on the other hand...I really could use the help...especially with the fork springs.

HMMMMMM! What to do...what to do???

I also called the bike shop (a different one than I was dealing with) and they said they would lend me the special tools for the fork and the steering stem, as long as he had them (he was pretty sure he had them). I just need to leave a credit card number or a cash deposit that would be returned when I returned the tools.

Bob, let me know about the tool, because I lined up getting Brett's, Now about the rebuild. I'm free on the last weekend to come down if you want to wait. I completely understand not wanting to tho'. You might want to wait on the weather. That could help make your decision.

2011 Triumph R3 Roadster

Bob, let me know about the tool, because I lined up getting Brett's, Now about the rebuild. I'm free on the last weekend to come down if you want to wait. I completely understand not wanting to tho'. You might want to wait on the weather. That could help make your decision.
    Yeah...I was thinking about the weather too. We'll just have to see what's going on.

I've got the fork tool and the steering head bearing tool. I need to make a front end adjustment and will then send the box along. Bob, shoot me your address via email and then when the time gets close I'll make sure you have the tools.

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by holmes
    I've got the fork tool and the steering head bearing tool. I need to make a front end adjustment and will then send the box along. Bob, shoot me your address via email and then when the time gets close I'll make sure you have the tools.

[email protected]
    Thanks man!! That would be awesome!!