Bear Attack

Thread: Bear Attack

Default Bear Attack

This happened on top of the mountain behind our house. The campground is about a half mile south of us on the mountain top. I kept my dogs in the house last night. Hope they find the bear today!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02305.html
    Vicki
    2000 ZRX11001998 Valkyrie

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Wow!

Default Bear attack

I hate hearing that, seldom do you hear of a black bear attack. Thanks for the post.
    Crazyhorse

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

That is so sad.

I just read about that and saw it was in Benton.
    Immediately thought of you guys.
    Keep a watchful eye while you're out taking care of your chores.
    I think I'd be packing some heat while I was out.

That is so sad. You and Jim be careful out there in the wilderness. I am about to move to the country myself.
    Highlander
    There can be only one.

Jeesh what a horrible story. I can't even begin to imagine.

Default Bear

Prayers for the family. Keep an eye on the horses.

Blue Ice/2000 Valkyrie Interstate

I would suspect your horses would start kicking up a ruckus if the bear got near, but nonetheless, I would carry a large caliper handdgunn when I was outside working. That is so sad.
    Ride with great verve.

BTW; I have a buddy in Arkansa that has a big spread in the nat'l forest. A couple of years ago there was a bear problem in the local area and residents had notified the Fish and Wildlife folks. One day his Great Dane started making a fuss as the bear came on to his property. He put his dog inside and came out with his rifle. He put a round over the bears head, hopeing to scare it away but instead, the bear stood up and became menacing. He put it down. A few hours later, the same day, the DNR people called to ask him if he, like others in his area, had a bear problem. "Not anymore'; he replied. To make a long story short; he wound up getting fined a dollar per pound for putting it down, on HIS property, where his children play.
    Ride with great verve.

That's sad. You and jim be careful while you're outside. Watch them
    doggie too. Thought about stopping by next week but I may just wait
    till after they get that bear....
    Prayers on the way fromTJ

Default Just saw it on the 11 pm news...

...as I was reading your post...very sad.
    PIBIT

You can only go halfway into the darkest forest, then you are coming out the other side. (unless you have been walking in circles).

An article on that also made it into our local paper......

Hate to hear of those things.............

Hope they find it before too long.

As most of em said, carry a rifle with ya for awhile while doing chores.

Better safe than sorry......

97 Tourer - 87 Cobra Trike - 44 Harley ServiCar
    Semper fi.

No news yet of them getting the bear. The dogs go everywhere I go and I'm sure they will alert me of any danger. I've been using the 4 wheeler to go to the barn instead of walking. Yes I need to get a gun, but need to learn how to use one also! Jim's talking about getting me a 357.
    Vicki

After this attack, just about every bear in the area is a target for the crosshairs. It only takes one bad apple to wipe out a species; but a necessary preventative.
    Redneck Rebel on a Rocket...that'll git the dogs barkin

Black bears that are agressive like this are rare. As far as protection from killer bears, the .357 is a pipsqueak. For that matter, so is a .44 Magnum.
    If i were living in an area with renegade bears, nothing less than a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs or #9 buckshot. Maybe a double barrel coach gun with reloads handy. Easier to carry with short barrels.

I hope that they find that bear. A real tragedy for the family.

Wayne

Sorry to hear that, be careful when out and about. we have had some mountain lion attacks and although its pretty rare, it still happens
    57 ariel, 64 HD sportster, 57 & 71 Triumph, 75 Norton, 48 Indian, 97 Valkyrie, & a few bits and pieces

Default Bear Caught in Tenn., Forest Service Says

Ride Safe, Ride Often

I just read where they think they have captured the bear involved. Of course, they are going to put it down.

Vickie, a 357 kicks like a mule and is hard for most ladies and a lot of men to hit anything with. I'd suggest a 9mm with hollowpoints. It makes a nice hole and the hollowpoints give it stopping power. I got rid of all my guns when I moved to New Orleans except for a 12 ga riot style shotgun. I don't hunt anymore and this will stop anything in my doorway.

Thanks for the advise Jack. I really only want a 38 with rat shot or something similar for shooting snakes. I think this bear ordeal is not something that will happen often and I've never even seen a bear since we've lived here.
    Vicki

Vickie, if you want a revolver mainly for shooting snakes, a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special caliber would be good It has a short 2.5 inch barrel and the .44 special cartridge holds a lot of #9 pellets. It's also a good defense gun with a reasonable price new or used.

I have a strong feeling that since you can handle a Valkyrie better than I can, you would have no problem with the kick of any handgun. By the way, I have taught many firearm classes, I'm a NRA instructor, and I have been in the shooting sports for over 50 years, so I feel that I'm just a little qualified in firearms.

Wayne

Wayne,

Thanks for the info. I have a ZRX club friend in N. GA (also named Wayne) that used to shoot in competition. He said he can teach me. Don't know if it will mean anything to you but he goes by GAlimitedGM says it had something to do with his shooting.
    Vicki

Hey Vicki don't bother with the handgun for Bears. The calibers referred to by others will only piss off most bears. The Alaskan guides all carry 12Ga 3" 00 Buck alternated with Slugs for bears. It's much easier to handle and more forgiving than any handgun. You can get a mount for your ATV to keep it on as well as a scabbard for the saddle. I'd suggest a remington 870 pump with a pistol grip. As much as I love my Sig .40 cal I'd much rather have the Shotgun for night shooting and hard to stop antagonists either 2 or 4 legged. As for the no legged #8shot will do it...vc
    2009 Egret 189 with Yamaha 150 Vmax

Valkcabbie. I agree with you 100% (See my previous post). Vickie said that they don't have any trouble with bears but she wants a handgun that she can carry and use on snakes.

Vickie. Sounds like a winner. You'll have no problem with somebody that's experienced teaching you. You'll enjoy it. Recoil of handguns is 'way over rated except for the .50 calibers and the 45/70's, etc.

Wayne

Vicki and Jim

You'll get a big rifle that will knock the socks off that bear...

You be careful. you do have a lof of wildlife up there. and there are a lot of bears.. in NGA and tenn.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Valkcabbie
    Hey Vicki don't bother with the handgun for Bears. The calibers referred to by others will only piss off most bears. The Alaskan guides all carry 12Ga 3" 00 Buck alternated with Slugs for bears. It's much easier to handle and more forgiving than any handgun. You can get a mount for your ATV to keep it on as well as a scabbard for the saddle. I'd suggest a remington 870 pump with a pistol grip. As much as I love my Sig .40 cal I'd much rather have the Shotgun for night shooting and hard to stop antagonists either 2 or 4 legged. As for the no legged #8shot will do it...vc

Gee, I didn't know we were talking Kodiaks and Grizzlies!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack G
    I just read where they think they have captured the bear involved. Of course, they are going to put it down.

Vickie, a 357 kicks like a mule and is hard for most ladies and a lot of men to hit anything with. I'd suggest a 9mm with hollowpoints. It makes a nice hole and the hollowpoints give it stopping power. I got rid of all my guns when I moved to New Orleans except for a 12 ga riot style shotgun. I don't hunt anymore and this will stop anything in my doorway.
    They just said this was not the right bear.

Hey Jack! I guess Vicki can learn the Davey Crockett thing and Grin em t'death... You can't beat the Ole 12ga home on the range! BTW Most Bears will avoid dogs especially barking dogs. I'm curious if there is a Bear season up there and do they hunt with dogs? If so the bear most likely has learned to avoid them. Puff shoots .38 cal and .40 cal ...vc
    2009 Egret 189 with Yamaha 150 Vmax

Quote Originally Posted by Valkcabbie
    Hey Jack! I guess Vicki can learn the Davey Crockett thing and Grin em t'death... You can't beat the Ole 12ga home on the range! BTW Most Bears will avoid dogs especially barking dogs. I'm curious if there is a Bear season up there and do they hunt with dogs? If so the bear most likely has learned to avoid them. Puff shoots .38 cal and .40 cal ...vc
    Well, I know I wouldn't tangle with Vickie!!!!!!

12 ga is what I keep around the house. Nothing like "overkill" when that is what you wanna do anyway!