Loud mufflers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loud mufflers

Default Loud mufflers

I just received a copy of Massachusett's law concerning loud pipes from Paul Cote. Paul is very active in motorcycle responsibility.
    I am going to tackle this very unpopular subject by crafting a noise ordinance for the city of New Haven.
    I feel, as the AMA does, that loud pipes causes big problems.
    With that in mind, I'm asking for a response to a poll that I'm taking.
    Please respond honestly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

I agree with AMA about REALLY LOUD PIPES! I hate 'em!

I have gone that route, been there done that years ago ... and now enjoy a quiet ride with the purr of the GL 1800 filling my ears with a music that I enjoy. NOISE by wild type bikers can be very irritating to the point of giving all of the motorcyclists a bad name.

Over the years I have had to tell people that LOUD is not the way to build public relations within the communities where we live. It also can be a downfall when it comes to "big brother" legislating more and more laws.

Personally, I love to ride and do not care to have more laws and regulations prohibiting motorcycles from using certain places.

Ride responsibly and above all ... "Join AMA" (Former Field Rep # 813)

Just my observation from 49 years of riding.
    Retired and Riding
    Life is short ... find s
    ome longer roads!

I haven't run modified pipes in twenty years. Loud pipes may not cause problems but they are a pain in the A$$ to be around for any length of time. I have enough headaches.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

I learned from experience that pipes that may sound great in town, get real annoying after traveling 8/10hrs in the saddle. I don't mind hearing the bike, but straight pipes on Harleys,Valks or anything else, don't do nothing for me.
    Mike Feil
    Sarasota, Fla.
    04 BMW R1150RT
    98 Valk Tourer
    "Are we there yet"

Default I too dislike loud pipes

Loud pipes DO NOT save lives as many try to proclaim. It's your riding skills that will save your bacon. I have never straight pipes and do not care for all the (mainly HD rider) noise that is produced on a lot of the bikes now days. I did run some Jardine pipes on a 1100 Wing and they had a little sound to them but not to the point of drowning out the radio.

Default I guess you don't want Cobras for x-mas! LOL

I kinda go both ways on the issue. Maybe its cause I'm young yet. I like to hear both quiet and loud pipes. I ride alot with my HD bud and he has a set of Sampsons on his. They are loud but sound good. It seems you have to have loud pipes on a HD! Sometimes we sit at a light and I'll blurp the gas and then he laughs and does his. I like them when we putt around town or on the highway. When it comes to traveling it becomes noisy. He is always wanting to ride behind me when we ride, inwhich he does out of curtisey. I have tossed around the idea of getting pipes but choose not to yet cause I really like to travel on my Valk. Be it 15 miles to work or 4 miles to town. I like to listen to the humm of the engine and listen to my tunes. More importantly I can talk to the SO without shouting. But there are days when I wish I has some. Kinda like the Lemmings theory I guess. SO says I should get some. If they weren't so expensive and loose HP I might consider it more. Been tossing around the idea to do glass packs but will see. I don't see bike pipes much different than aftermarket pipes on a old Chevelle or 3/4 ton Chevy a HS kid has cruising around town. But everyone has their opinion on pipes as they do on helmit laws.

I thought that there was already a federal law covering loud, aftermarket pipes. Adopt that as a city ordinance and be done. Contact the city or county prosecutor on what must be done to win cases. I'm not really sure what making more and more laws covering the same issues accomplishes..

I'm very much against loud muffler statutes, however. I know this is a "hot topic" among bikers. My take, since you asked, is that many if not most of the people complaining about having to hear and be "offended" by an occasional HD roaring up the road; will ALWAYS have something to complain about. If your neighbor points his straight pipes at your bedroom to warm it up @ 6am I understand. There are ususally plenty of laws to handle that. Otherwise? Come on. Do you call your Congressman when a private jet passes loudly overhead? Do you call your commisioner when the neighbor cranks up the weed-eater at 9 am?

I could go on and on. There is way too much "nanny" in this country already. If we continue to make laws EVERY time anyone is "offended", I really feel sad for this "land of the free".

Me? I'll continue to run my "lightly" baffled Vikings and bring my lawyer if cited. That is where the battle will fought and won. I will also show common curtesy to my neighbors and riding buddies. Seems only right...

BTW, I've actually considered dropping my AMA membership due to their active support on this issue. I've held off because I realize they do a bunch of other good work. We'll see...
    Travis

'99 Valkyrie
    '02 'Hawk

The LOUDER the BETTER!!

Grandpas like 'em quiet....and I ain't no grandpa!
    Of course I hate you....why shouldn't I?

I get a huge kick out of the " I've been there done that" crowd. So, because YOU have "been there done that" it means that you can support laws that prevent ME from "being there and doing it"?
    What a bunch of crap!
    I want to know why my loud stereo is offensive after ten, but church bells that can be heard for miles and miles at the crack of dawn aren't a problem?
    I hope I never get that old. Yes, there is a point where bikes are too loud. But I'm not going to judge. There are far more dangerous and annoying problems to deal with. Like driving while cell phoning.
    As far as "loud pipes save lives"? I know for fact that if I notice a driver that doesn't notice me, I give my bike some throttle and back off, and sure enough they check their mirror. People hear me coming up behind them. That is a good thing. being "stealth" on a bike can get you killed.

Oh, and even though I am a Grandpa, I still like the sound of a well run motor. Even Grandma K runs her 1500 Nomad with a set of Vance & Hines without baffles. And damn it sounds nice!
    Always someone trying to make me conform to their idea of what is right, well I'm sick of it!
    Man I hate government "helping me become a better person"
    So because you are done being young it should now be illegal?
    I hear lot of people say "back in 19?? we ran split manifolds and exhaust cutouts" but now the want to stricter laws to prevent that.
    Hypocrisy at it's finest. You should all be ashamed.

I prefer quiet pipes...my choice...my bike.

But we do not need any more laws about it. Gheez! My city is already doing such life enhancing policies such as regulating the color of the flowers in my yard, the hair on my dog...and they have actually just now successfully taxed my cat. Cops are working overtime on a federal grant to enforce the seatbelt law...and they are advertizing such with 12 paid ads per day on the network stations ($$$)...

Meanwhile back in the real world...12 year old raped. Woman beaten to death with a brick. 700 homicides this year in Dallas county alone. People hungry, people lost. Real problems, real people. But no ticket revenue to be had there...

I've been through communities that have drafted their own specific vehical noise ordinances...invariably they use them to stop bikes at will (loud or not) and give them a hard time.

<"Oh sorry sir...it must have been another bike I heard that was loud. Oh well. License and insurance please.">

No more please. Go and put effort into the real problems in the community.

Leave me and my (not loud) pipes in peace.

---------------------------------
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.

Default ...these ARE motorcycles ...aint they ?

..Personally I LOVE loud pipes....its ol grandpop types like yourself, who always seem to be trying to force your values and "riding styles" on others.....that give me the willies !

I have Two Brother 6 into 6 on my 01 Interstate, and she is wicked...always turning ALOT of heads where ever I go. Ive had people I ride with give me grief in the past...and for a short while I felt bad, because they seemed to be bothered by them so much...but I soon overcame that guilt trip when I felt that it was THEY who were cramping MY riding style.....my buddy has Cobra 6 into 6 and we love it LOUD !!

Now....I have a simple reply to anyone who complains about riding with me.....dont. I dont feel like hereing it, if they bother you that much...they,res plenty of open road...go get your wind somewhere else. My boy Johnny and I like to ride hard and fast and...LOUD...and we do.

If you,re out trying to get legislation passed to infringe on other bikers freedom of choice of how they ride, then you definitely arent someone I want to blow down the road with anyway.

Default I live in Darien Ct. I for one like my pipes loud, but i

respect my nieghbors when coming home late,i dont rev it and disturb them,to each thier own.I like them loud but thats me. I wont tell you what to do and how to live so respect me to do what i want and not what you think i should do.
    My Dragon

The more I think about it the madder I get.

"there should be a law that makes everyone more like me"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Default Re loud pipes

I think people have the right to be in their home and not hear a loud bike or thumping car stereo for 5 minutes coming, 5 minutes going. I understand that loud pipes in certain situations may help a driver notice you. Sounds like some of you think it's o.k. to respect your neighbor, but who cares if you rev up your loud pipes in someone elses back yard? I have never had loud pipes, don't plan on it either. I see no logic in having loud pipes, then wearing earplugs like I have seen people do because they are "a little to much" on long rides. I have had people tell me, or seen patches on jackets saying "loud pipes save lives", then they hop on their bike and take off without a helmet?? To each their own.

I have to agree with Jeff on this one! So, you been there done that! That gives you the right now to stop the experience for others that one time you thought was cool? I like the loud pipes I have on my 1800 VTX and I have taken long trips with them. No problem. I also have a 1800 GoldWing that is very quite. Now that makes me a bad person because I have both and still like loud pipes? It's called freedom of choice! I'll keep my loud piped VTX long before I keep the GoldWing if anything should ever happen that I would have to give one up.

There now you know what I think!
    Wishing Everyone Enough!

jafo

Ever see the Seinfeld where he was talking about good naked and bad naked?

I feel that loud pipes are the same way. I think some loud pipes sound great but some loud pipes are just obnoxious I like to hear my bike going down the road. When I first start my Boss it's loud but it's a good loud, just about everyone that hears it gets a BIG ol grin on their face When I'm cruising down the road my bike is pretty quite when you hold any RPM. I have rolled right along side the police without them even looking at me.

I live in a small town where just about everyone knows or has seen my bike and I have yet to have anyone complain about the noise. I do show respect for my neighbors when I leave or come home on my bike. You can make a loud bike quite if you ride it right.

Default Hey LaMonster

If your posting is correct, I can't belive it's colder down there than it is in NW Iowa right now!

Have a Great Day!
    Wishing Everyone Enough!

jafo

Default Re: Hey LaMonster

Quote Originally Posted by jafo
    If your posting is correct, I can't belive it's colder down there than it is in NW Iowa right now!

Have a Great Day!
    28 and snow on the ground right now

Default Loud Pipes - Give Me A Break!

Here we go AGAIN!

Yet another community considering writing yet another law ... how about enforcing the laws that exists on record now? How about a "crusade" on an issue that actually effects the community? Noise ordinances are written for one purpose ONLY and that is to harrass motorcyclists and appease a small number of whining SNOBS! I live in an area where some local towns have been passing noise ordinances for the last 3 years or so. These towns primarily are seacoast communities that get a lot of bike traffic. As mentioned above they use these new found laws to stop ALL bike traffic!

I am a member of various organizations that fight against this type of HARASSMENT ... Many of these communities that have passed their new laws are now being boycoted by the motorcylist community and many of their "fine business's" are being driven out of business because the $$$$$ is no longer being brought in! I say GOOD ... you get exactly what you deserve in most instances.

Don't tell me what pipes I can run on my bikes or how to comb my hair - If I am not hurting you it is none of your business

If you're retired and are looking for something to do to help your community out then feed the hungry, house the homeless, adopt an orphan, volunteer in the local library, pick trash off the local roads ... just get off my back ... get the idea?
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

www.v-man.org

Guess everyone that knows me knows where I stand on this loud pipe
    thing. Right on Jeff K. Like Lamont say's there is good and bad loud.
    I can pass cops also and they don't even look my way,but at times
    they know I'm out there if I'm get-in on it hard. Now if I could only get
    this [email protected] thing back in the bike and running I could be happy as a pig in
    slop........
    Please don't try to force your opinions on me as to whats right or wrong...

TJ and the BoyZ
    Prayers on the way fromTJ

Default loud pipes.

As some of you may know I am one of solo1's sons. Ive piped in about this subject on several ocasions before. When I was a teenager I had a loud car as well as most kids my age at the time did. My dad didnt like it but I was a teenager. As I got older (im 39 now) I realize that we have to respect others. I like the sound of an engine with loud exhaust as much as the next guy but not blowing my eardrums out next to me in traffic. As far as your right to make as much noise as you want, well your rights stop at my car window. It all comes down to this, If you respect others they will for the most part respect you. But if you sit at a light revving you engine or blast away front the light, that guy in the car next to you is going to look at you as another one of those D#@M bikers and none of us need that.

Default The point is

None of us want to loose any rights or freedoms however, when your right to make loud noise travels three blocks down the road and into my house and over powers my entertainment then you have gone way beyond your right to loud pipes or music. If you have to rack your pipes to get people to notice you then you are riding in a dangerous situation and not using good riding sense.

Default Maybe it is age or Change of Life

not old as dirt like RJ but I've opted to go the other way. I'm currently in the process of loudening My Valk.

"Loudening" that's a word isn't it

Why, because my Valk is just a little "too quiet" I'm tired of the HD's I'm passing sounding ferocious and the Valk humming away as it passes them. I'm going to 5" pipes with glass packs. Louder, most likely, too loud, I hope not for long trips but if it is, I've still got my stock pipes and earplugs. Couldn't afford the Mark T's but wanted something different. Cutting the piggies was not for me and I like the look of these with the added kick of a performance boost

"Do they Save Lives"? Don't know but Responsibility and Respect for others is the "key", I believe.

sarge

All Ride Safe
    All Ride Safe
    sarge

1999 Yeller Valkyrie

Default I'm not a teenager, and this is LONG

however, I have run loud pipes on all my bikes, all except my CHiP bikes, ever since I started riding about 58 years ago. YES, I'm 71 and still riding.

I'm with JeffK, Jo K, Lamont, Tj and the Boyz and several others, get off my butt about loud pipes. I'm not obnoxious around populated areas with my pipes and I try to respect my neighbors early or late when leaving or returning from home. Some diesel trucks are louder than bikes. That is what brought about the engine brake ordinances, not motorcycle noise.

Yes, I'll crack any of my rides in the butt and run with the best of em, I'll win a few and I'll loose a few. I do not wear earplugs so I figure my pipes are not all that loud and I'm not hard of hearing like 99% of HD riders. They are however glass paks and they do have a ton of miles on em so I know they are louder than when I put em on there 6 years ago. If need to I can still ride 5/600 mile days and not be deaf when I get there.

In 163,000 + miles I have not been pulled over for loud pipes. However some of my HD riding buddies get pulled over all the time, so does that say something for the HD pipes. Some of them are just 1 1/2" straights and they can get very dang noisy and annoying.

So go back off in your own jack yard.

We have a small area in our town, narrow minded people live here, and the street that passes through their area is a major East/West route, 4 lane. The speed limit prior to it is 40 MPH on one side, 25 MPH w/zero tolerance in their 9 block area and back up to 45 MPH on the other side.
    The city council voted to raise it to 35 MPH a few weeks ago. The people who live along that area complained in council meeting that they wouldn't be able to dodge cars crossing the street at that speed. Someone asked why not as they would have a Walk/No Walk signal at the corner to use. This one dimwit replied, we never walk across the street at the signal we jaywalk as it is closer to where we want to go. The speed limit passed and then the mayor vetoed it 2 weeks later cause he also lived on the street and knew what his neighbors were talking about and they had elected him to do what was right by them. DUH..........

97 Tourer - 87 Cobra Trike - 44 Harley ServiCar
    Semper fi.

Default loud pipes

Im not saying that everone should stay with the stock pipes, but if your going to go louder dont go too far. The pipes that Sarge is talking about are on my buddy EEZZRIDERs bike. I have riden with him a couple of times since he put them on. I thought they would be too loud but they sound good. They have the same basic sound as the stock pipes just amplified.

Default Yeah yeah yeah Ö Blah blah blah.

Loud pipes are at times obnoxious ... Farting in public is obnoxious ... A fat sweaty slob sitting next to you in the movies chomping on popcorn and slurping a soda is obnoxious and he/she probably stinks to boot ... Disco dancing is obnoxious ... People wearing plaid pants in public are obnoxious. I could go on, but I think you all get the picture.

Does this mean we need to write laws to stop these actions. No I donít think so. We are in a country that takes pride in its freedom. We donít need our government canceling out one by one the freedom our fore fathers fought so hard to establish for our nation.

Now with that said, many many moons ago I had a high school teacher explain what freedom was. "Freedom is the right to say no." In other words donít take my right to decide what I can and can not do away from me, let me be the one to say no, not some bureaucrat. Let me be free to ride quiet, and let me be free to ride loud. Let me be intelligent enough to recognize that my riding style is offending others.

Because I donít run loud pipes doesnít mean I am against them. Iím against the fools that donít realize that their obnoxious pipes are infringing on someone elseís right to quiet. Iím against the idiots that made Quebec ban motorcycles in the Old City because of the damage from the noise. Iím against the idiots that blast away at lights making motoristís angry at all motorcyclists. Iím disappointed at anyone who has little or no respect for their neighbor.

As a matter of fact one fool here in Boston this year killed himself partly because of the sound of his bike. He was racing through a tunnel impressing himself and his buddies with the noise of his bike when he lost control smashed into the wall. His buddy from behind finished him off. His loud pipes cost him his life.

Defensive driving saves more lives than loud pipes.

Let people choose, and let them be responsible. Oh yeah ... let them ride behind me too.

Geez with all this talk about loud pipes ya got me considering buying a Two Brothers 6-2 canister exhaust system for my Valk.

Default My thoughts

I envy everyone that has expressed an opinion with regard to this issue... I wish for the day when my life returns to a boring enough state that I can actually feel justified in shiving a git about this subject.

I know this does nothing to add constructively to the debate and for that I apologize.

-hotdog
    Ride or ride not... there is no try!

2006 Cobalt Blue Yamaha FJR1300
    2003 Silver Suzuki SV650S

Default Please do not over regulate my drug of choice.

I hate obnoxious people, and I hate obnoxiously loud pipes; but, I hate over regulating anything more. Everyone can identify an obnoxious person, and as easily, obnoxious pipes. Loud pipes draw unfavorable attention to motorcyclists in general, and I have heard very loud pipes on all brands of motorcycles. There is a time to be loud, and a time to take it easy. The responsible motorcyclist knows the difference and would not get loud with the pipes. Irresponsible riders will get loud whether the regulation is in effect or not. Therefore, who does the law punish? The responsible rider, because the irresponsible riders will not attempt to obey the law anyway. I am sure there are laws on the books to deal with these folks who insist on making too much noise in the wrong areas. And Eeezeee Riders pipes are howitzers, but when I rode behind him on the way to InZane III, his pipes were not loud -- even with one side removed. Loud seems to be best conrolled by proper application of the right hand.
    Highlander
    There can be only one.

Could this have been anyone from this site??

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/11/29/te....ap/index.html
    Of course I hate you....why shouldn't I?

In this case, then you should consider ALL sources of volume... LOUD car Stereos, Loud Truck exhaust, Outlaw diesel engine brakes ( Jake Brakes?)... heck, outlaw dogs because they bark.... outlaw the damn birds for chirpin so darn early in the morning... outlaw leafblowers, lawnmowers, chainsaws.. letsee.. what else?...

How bout car horns? Truck Air Horns, TRAINS.. damn noisy trains....

Sorrry, but once you start down that slippery slope, there is really no end in sight...

if ya dont like the noise.. move to the country, buy yerself 30 acres and then you dont hafta listen to the noise ( except those damn birds... )

IMHO... you mileage may vary...

Mosa
    "I believe what I said yesterday. I don't know what I said, but I know what I think, and, well, I assume it's what I said." -Donald Rumsfeld